Thursday 14 February 2008

Oi Polloi

I'm again at a loss with words cos Oi Polloi are a band that influenced me greatly. I bought their ''In Defence Of Our Earth'' LP which came out back in 1990 on Words Of Warning and it got me thinking about the subjects I value so much today. That LP talked about environment, anti-fascism, anarchy etc. in such an interesting and intense way that I think it's one of my favorite albums of all time. I still listen to it, not few times a day like I used to, but it's good to hear it from time to time. I remember trying to translate the recipe for an ''Anarcho-Pie'' from the booklet and making my own ''Feel The Earth Power'' t-shirt by photocopying and enlarging the picture from the booklet, then transferring it on the t-shirt with the help of indigo paper and finally coloring it with black paint. Looked pretty cool, especially when I used to get drunk like a pig and spent the rest of the evening hugging the floor. I guess I was feeling that Earth power!? This is a Nikt Nic Nie Wie CD reissue of ''In Defence Of Our Earth'', and I've added a bonus track that was on a LP and a cassette versions I've got. ''Six Of The Best'' is a Rugger Bugger release, a great collection of Oi Polloi's 7''.If anyone's wondering what Oi Polloi means here's the explanation from Wikipedia of the term Hoi Polloi from which our Scottish punkers got their name: ''Hoi polloi (Greek: οί πολλοί), an expression meaning "the many" in Greek is used in English to denote "the masses" or "the people", usually in a derogatory sense. For example, "I've secured a private box for the play so we don't have to watch the show with hoi polloi." Synonyms for "hoi polloi" include "...commoners, great unwashed, minions, multitude, plebeians, proletariat, rabble, rank and file, riffraff, the common people, the herd, the many, the masses, the peons, the working class".''I’ve found an article about Oi Polloi on Wikipedia, Oi Polloi MySpace page, some of their discography at Discogs and a good web page about them (most detailed, with discography, lyrics etc.) that you can check here.



OI POLLOI [1990] In Defence Of Our Earth

Year: 1990
Label: Words Of Warning / reissued as CD by Nikt Nic Nie Wie
Size: 86 MB / 320 kbps / 7z / DL

01. Thin Green Line
02. 23 Hours
03. When Two Men Kiss
04. Whale Song
05. What Have We Done?
06. Victim Of A Chemical Spillage
07. Anarcho-Pie
08. Clachan Chalanais
09. Free The Henge
10. Nazi Scum
11. World Park Antarctica
12. Bonus Bagpipes Track



OI POLLOI [2001] Six Of The Best

Year: 2001
Label: Rugger Bugger
Size: 147 MB / 320 kbps / 7z / DL

01. Punx 'N' Skins
02. Stop Vivisection Now
03. Boot Down The Door
04. No Filthy Nuclear Power
05. Hands Off Nicaragua
06. Scum
07. They Shoot Children Don't They?
08. Resist The Atomic Menace
09. Reach For The Light
10. Dealer In Death
11. Omnicide
12. Victims Of A Gas Attack
13. Die For B.P.
14. Rich Man's World
15. Guilty (original version)
16. Guilty
17. Break The Mould
18. John Major - Fuck You
19. Bash The Fash
20. The Right To Choose
21. Victims Of A Gas Attack
22. When Two Men Kiss
23. The Only Release?
24. T.H.C.
25. Sex With Strangers
26. Simon Weston
27. Meine Augen

6 comments:

Unknown said...

'Guilty' is my favourite ep of all time, I think. It's on my turntable as I type infact!

Nečista Savjest said...

I'm happy that you like this post! For me, it's sort of changing all the time, their favourite EP, right now I'm into "Omnicide", "Die For BP" song...

Anonymous said...

haha, we even named our band after a early oi polloi song.-)

Nečista Savjest said...

"Boot Down The Door" maybe?

Anonymous said...

@necista savjest:
well spotted, watson:-)

Combom said...

thanx :)